DEPARTMENT FOR FRUIT PROTECTION AND CERTIFICATION OF PLANTING MATERIAL
Head of the department
Dr. Darko Jevremović
- Dr. Svetlana Paunović
- Dr. Aleksandar Leposavić
- Study of the presence and geographical distribution of the fruit trees viruses, mainly of the genera Rubus, Vaccinium, Ribes, Prunus, Malus and Corylus;
- Investigation of the structure and population dynamics of the predominant fruit tree viruses;
- Identifying the presence of genetic polymorphisms of Plum pox virus and the factors that lead to its diversification in the whole country and prediction of the emergence of new genetic variants;
- Study on the competitiveness of recombinant Plum pox virus strain (PPV-Rec) and the intensity of spread in field conditions;
- Study of the etiology and epidemiology of emerging viruses of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries;
- Improvement of the existing and introduction of a new (Real-time PCR) molecular methods for faster, more reliable and specific detection of viruses and viroids of fruit trees;
- Development of effective control measures of pathogens and risk management in the production of quality fruit planting material and fruits;
- Creation and maintenance of nuclear, pre-basic and basic plant material;
- Clonal selection and the creation of basic planting material of raspberries, blackberries and currants.
Associates of the department perform analysis of plant material of fruit trees and grapevine using serological (ELISA) and molecular methods (RT-PCR, IC-RT-PCR, PCR, nested-PCR and Real-time PCR) on the presence of the following pathogens:
Apple stem pitting virus, Apple stem grooving virus, Apple chlorotic ringspot virus, Apple mosaic virus, Plum pox virus, Prune dwarf virus, Prunus necrotic ringspot virus, Plum bark necrosis stem pitting associated virus, Myrobalan latent ringspot virus, Cherry green ring mottle virus, Cherry mottle virus, Cherry leaf roll virus, Tomato ringspot virus, Tomato black ring virus, Strawberry latent ringspot virus, Strawberry mild yellow edge virus, Raspberry bushy dwarf virus, Raspberry ringspot virus, Raspberry leaf blotch virus, Raspberry mottle virus, Raspberry latent virus, Raspberry vein chlorosis virus, Raspberry yellow net virus, Black raspberry necrosis virus, Blueberry leaf mottle virus, Blueberry scorch virus, Blueberry shock virus, Blueberry shoestring virus, Blueberry red ringspot virus, Blueberry mosaic associated virus, Peach rosette mosaic virus, Arabis mosaic virus, Cucumber mosaic virus, Grapevine fanleaf virus, Grapevine fleck virus, Grapevine leafroll associated virus 1, Grapevine leafroll associated virus 3, Grapevine leafroll associated virus 6, Grapevine leafroll associated virus 7, Grapevine virus A, Grapevine virus B, Fig mosaic virus.
Apple scar skin viroid, Apple dimple fruit viroid, Pear blister canker viroid, Peach latent mosaic viroid.
‘Candidatus Phytoplasma mali’, ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma pyri’, ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma prunorum’, Hazelnut maculatura lineare phytoplasma, ‘Candidatus Phytoplasma rubi’, Grapevine flavescence dorée phytoplasma, Stolbur.