Fruit Reseach Institute is seated in a renown fruit growing region
in which the first Serbian fruit and grapevine nursery was established
At the first congress of fruit growers of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, held in 1932 in
Čačak, the initiative was taken for the foundation of a scientific institution in the
field of Fruit science and was subsequently realized through foundation of the Fruit
Growing and Processing Research Station on the 17th of July in 1946 by the
decision of the Ministry of Agriculture of NR of Serbia, num. 21867. By the decision num.
19 from March 23rd, 1961 the Executive Council of NR of Serbia declared it republic
scientific institution under the name The Fruit Research Institute of the NR
of Serbia. Research stations of Sremski Karlovci and Peć were declared experimental
fruit stations, constituents of the Institute. Presently independent Fruit nursery in
Čačak was taken over by the Institute on April 1st, 1961.The Institute worked as a
republic research organization by 1974 when, on amendment of the Constitution, it became
an independent research institution for the region of Serbia.
In 1986, Grape and Wine
Research Station in Niš was integrated into the Institute and it subsequently
continued its work under the name Fruit and Grapevine Research Institute, Čačak.
The law regulation from 1990 brought about changes in organisation of the institute and
stations in the field of agriculture. Upon integration of several biotechnical institutes
on December 24th, 1991, Institute continued to exist
as a part of Agricultural Research Institute SERBIA, as one of its eight centres.
By the decision of the Goverment of Republic of Serbia, num. 022-8481/2006 from September 14th, 2006, the Institute is independent legal entity in the name FRUIT RESEARCH INSTITUTE.
Fruit Research Institute